This week in community building — Issue 💯
This equates to pretty much two years of sending out a weekly curated newsletter. My life has changed so much in those two years!
Since starting this newsletter I've gone on to:
- writing of community articles, practically every week!
- creating a curated Community Builiding Notion database that I'm very proud of
- I've done a bunch of talks and spoke on many podcasts
- run a community building cohort
- ran our first recorded Rosieland community event (last week)
- made some money along the way
- built up a good email list and lots of Twitter followers!
All whilst holding down a job (and then a new job) and throughout this horrendous pandemic.
Most people don't realise that I refused pretty much all public speaking requests until about 2 years ago, so I'm pretty pleased about diving in 'good and proper'! 🤣
Whilst it's easy to paint a pretty picture, there have been struggles behind all of this. I'll be mixing things up a bit with Rosieland over the coming months, mostly to keep me less stressed and sane.
More of that is to come soon.
🙏🏽 For now I just want to say thank you for subscribing and following along. 🙏🏽
I recently came across a brilliant idea from a Miami-based conscious dance community called Solar Sunday. They’re preparing to launch a new project, so instead of blasting the news across social, they decided to strengthen their innermost community by creating an event that’s only for past attendees.
Those of us who have been blogging over the past two decades understand that deep professional relationships can be developed without ever meeting someone. How did we do it? We shared our knowledge, insights, concerns, and perspectives freely. Over time, people in this emerging online global network saw value in our work and gave back. In this network, communities developed. We learned from each and continue to do so. But if you do not give, you will not get anything back. To give freely is a leap of faith — faith in humanity. Of course we also learned that some people will take advantage of this. But we also share that information.
- Big Brands Experiment with NFTs, and a look to the Future — Jeremiah Owyang
- Online health communities: how do community members build the trust required to adopt information and form close relationships? — Taylor & Francis
- You’re living in the Metaverse, you just don’t know it yet. — Ben Popper, Stackoverflow
- Targeting taste communities — Ana Andjelic
- How to Measure Problem-Community Fit – And Why You Should — Garrett Johnson
- Recontextualizing my Relationship with Burning Wheel — Jeremy Friesen
- Building Community by Buying Nothing — Yes Magazine
- The inevitable decline of fully open platforms — Seth Godin
- A month long conference is a neat concept — Matt Webb
- ‘More dynamic, loyalty driven communities:’ What comes next for publishers on the blockchain — Digiday
- Using Discourse as a social media platform — Discourse
- Pilot Holes and Countersinks — Hugh Lashbrooke
- 2 NFT communities compared: The Doge Pound vs. Slumdoge Billionaires! — Carmen Taubman
- The Human Scale: Part III — WrathOfGnon
- The New Creator Economy - DAOs, Community Ownership, and Cryptoeconomics — Nader Dabit
- How Do Peer Awards Motivate Creative Content? Experimental Evidence from Reddit — SSRN
- Episode 55 ~ Community: Truly Seen, Heard and Known ~ Kajabi — Social Lights
- 090: How to build a community-led membership - with Dejan Pralica — Membership Maker
- Community Goes Both Ways w/ Lauren Clevenger — Community Corner
- Discourse Announces $20m Series A Investment by Pace Capital and First Round Capital — Discourse
- After community backlash, Pokémon GO reinstates a COVID safety and accessibility feature — TechCrunch
- Sugar raises $2.5M in seed funding to connect apartment residents — TechCrunch
- OnlyFans’ explicit content ban should spark a conversation about a creators’ bill of rights — TechCrunch
- YouTube has removed 1 million videos for dangerous COVID-19 misinformation — TechCrunch
I always feel odd talking about CTAs (calls to action) in a community context, bc of the association w/ "selling."
But, many components of community design, down to daily engagement posts, need CTAs.
I propose a rebrand: CTA ⏩ CTC 🎉Call To Connection. Happy Friday!
August 27, 2021
As a small token of appreciation to my newsletter Slack community (now over 5k strong!), I've created crypto-punk-inspired NFTs of the 40 most helpful and active members from over the past year. Cause why not! Check them out in all of their gloryhttps://t.co/thb6wQrY3z
August 27, 2021