The local news crisis will be solved one community at a time
By Ellen Clegg & Dan Kennedy, NiemanLab
Local journalism is in crisis. “America’s local news has reached its death spiral phase” proclaimed the Columbia Journalism Review in 2018. Two years later, an oft-cited study out of the University of North Carolina found that some 2,100 community newspapers had ceased publishing since 2004, leaving the country with large swaths of “news deserts” — areas that are unserved by any local news source.
This week in community...
- 🌈 What comes first? Persuasion or Community?
- 🌈 Try starting with a micro-community
- 🌈 But what *is* community?
- 🌈 Building. Stuff. Is. A. Slog.
- QAnon infects churches — Axios
- Battle of the (Community) Brands — Patrick McCrann
- Why Most Communities Suffer From Positioning Problems (and how to solve it) — Richard Millington
- Crowds Are Good Or: how I feel less alone. — Galaxy Brain
- Integrating Community Across your Org with Scott K. Wilder — Masters of Community
- How a community CRM can help you scale — Carmen Taubman
- When the Clubhouse Doors Close: Discord Opens New Spaces to Create and Connect — ConnectedLearning lab
- For Local News, Americans Embrace Digital but Still Want Strong Community Connection — Journalism.org
- How The Discourse scaled its business model to 34 local news sites — Simon Owens
- The Binders isn’t a secret anymore. Where does the giant Facebook group go from here? — NiemanLab
- Orbit has raised $15M Series A to enable proactive community teams everywhere — Orbit
- Facebook and Instagram will now allow users to hide ‘Like’ counts on posts — TechCrunch
- Orbiit raises seed funding to automate the interactions within an online community — TechCrunch
- Announcing our Latest Profile Badge: the Certified Discord Moderator — Discord
- Forem release a mobile app — Forem
- Episode 57 - Given Millions of Dollars We Would Invest in Content for our Community — Peers Over Beers
- Community Pulse - Episode 59 - DevRel Around the World — Community Pulse
- Rosie Sherry: In the Court of the Community Queen (#65) — Penguin Latte
- EP95 - How to Nurture a Community of Super Users w/ Andreia Tulcidás — The Community Corner
- Episode 13: Rosie Sherry on Community as a Career — This Must Be The Place
- Podcast 341: Blocking the haters as a service — The Stack Overflow Podcast
- Why developer relations teams exist — Tessa Kriesel