👋 I took a 3-week break from these weekly Rosieland Roundups, my longest streak break since starting this newsletter.
It was perfect timing with what has felt like a much quieter summer online plus just a little opportunity for me to have a bit more breathing space.
It gave me time to clean things up and also focus a bit more on writing, paid member events, and dumping my random community thoughts on The Village. I now realise that I didn't take a break, but a change is as good as one! 😅
So, let's get stuck in...
The Five Hard Truths of Community Right Now
The community industry is in a better place than where it was a few years ago, but there is still much work to be done. We were talking about the 'community industry bubble popping' and I just had to steal this from Kaelon (🙏🏽).
He says there are five hard truths right now:
- Community is increasingly being seen as a gimmick
- The ROI for Community Management is poorly measured
- Tech is going through a severe (and overdue) depression
- Equity is re-evaluating risk-raking, and community is on the chopping block
- Customers are exiting communities in droves
- How to capture in community [Pro]
- 📌 Maybe your community needs a bulletin board [Pro]
- Continuous conversations [Pro]
- Building in community
- A very big list of community models, frameworks and ideas [Freshly updated - Pro]
- Community Consultant [Job]
🔥 It's been hot in The Village
- Innoculating people against online misinformation
- What do you find most annoying in communities?
- What does it mean to “own your community”?
- What’s on your Community Dashboard?
- The art of community leadership
- Calculating ROI is usually one sided
- Quiet Community Quitting
📰 Rosieland Roundup
For Pro Members: I've started feeding these and more that don't make it into the newsletter into our 'garden' Slack channel. This is in addition to adding the resources to our Rosieland Community Garden Notion.
Maybe it wasn't so quiet after all. 🙈
- Measures, targets, rewards and punishments — Conversational Leadership
- What Does Incrementalism Actually Mean? — Strong Towns
- Everything breaks at scale — Sacha Judd
- Community Launch Guide — Tatiana Figueiredo
- Celebrating the labor that holds up our democracy: the community entrepreneur — New_ Public
- Community: The last defense against the Algorithm — People vs Algorithms
- If not now, when? - Relationships Project
- Lessons in Building Safe, Inclusive, and Functional Spaces for LGBTQ+ Folks — Community Signal
- Guided Hike: Unequal Engagement—And Why That’s A-Ok — Strange Birds
- The 5 Phases of Figma’s Community-Led Growth: From Stealth to Enterprise — First Round Review
🌈 Thanks for reading.