A big thanks to our sponsors...
A blast from the past from Kevin Kelly
Scenius is like genius, only embedded in a scene rather than in genes. Brian Eno suggested the word to convey the extreme creativity that groups, places or “scenes” can occasionally generate. His actual definition is: “Scenius stands for the intelligence and the intuition of a whole cultural scene. It is the communal form of the concept of the genius.”
I don't think it's just football (soccer), though. It's businesses everywhere that could and should be more civic. 😢
The notion of football as a civic good lingers (see, for instance, the continuing outrage over ticket prices going up during a cost-of-living crisis, as though clubs are immune to inflation), but the idea it should not be a commercial enterprise seems quaintly laughable today.
📝 This week in community
- How to Build a Parallel Community - Rosie Sherry
- What the research says about living near friends - Supernuclear
- Building Community Through Bike Rides - Strong Towns
- My long, slow breakup with the fat community - Kelly Lenza
- Journalists as community builders, not just watchdogs - Pia Ranada Robles
- The Art of Listening - Simon Sinek