This week in community building — Issue 102
By this stage, we’ve probably all heard of “hybrid events” – it’s become a bit of a buzzword in the community industry of late – so how do hybrid communities differ from events? There’s a lot of nuance to it, but broadly speaking hybrid communities have a more holistic focus as they incorporate all interactions of the community, not just the singular events.
- 🎙 Using audio as a way to build community — Rosie Sherry
- 🗓 A Rosieland Guide to Creating Profitable and Sustainable Communities
- Your Company Is Not Your Friend, Your Family, Or Your Community — Ed Zitron
- Challenge good ideas or, the art of herding cat thoughts — Angela Jin
- Becoming a better community builder — Uncommunity
- 10 NFT collection communities compared! — Community Coach
- Why NFTs Aren't the Next Asset Bubble — Digital Native
🎙 Podcasts & Videos
- The CX 004: So a Rabbi Walks Into a Pandemic … with Esther Lederman — Community Experience
- #ClarityCalls: How to Build a Customer-Driven Community — Banking on Digital Growth
- What is a DAO and why it matters to community managers? — Community Coach
- How $10B Figma Nurtures a Community-Led Growth Strategy with CCO Amanda Kleha — SaaStr
- While Making a Mixtape, Asher Roth Built an Online Community — Community Signal
- Making Sense of the Community Boom with Brian Oblinger — Masters of Community
- Making Sense of Community Data with Jillian Bejtlich — Community Corner
- Community at the Heart of Everything — Social Lights
- The fight to study what happens on Facebook — Engadget
- The day context came back to Twitter — Casey Newton
- Google has a new ‘Nest Community’ help forum for posting questions — 9 t 5 Google
- TikTok Announces Events and Additions for Fashion Month — Social Media Today
The Community Emotion Path captures how a community member feels at any stage of their community journey. A member could join, step off or fall off at any point.
A good community helps a member get back on the path on their own terms.
September 13, 2021
Erin Mikail Staples 🧜🏼♀️ #100DaysOfCommunity
A community doesn’t need to call themselves a community to be one.#100DaysOfCommunity
September 12, 2021
Community is key in the success of crypto. Lots of ppl talk about community as a result. But too many talk about community for the purpose of bringing value to the coin. That’s the wrong framing, and is demonstrated whenever crypto crashes overnight.
September 10, 2021
Perhaps the biggest signal of the growth of the community industry:
The % of companies with one-person community teams went down from 2020 to 2021.
The % of companies with community teams of 2-5, 6-10, and 11+ all went up.
- The 2021 Community Industry Report pic.twitter.com/pmUeXmFXwy
September 9, 2021