I’m ending this year of newsletters with missing a week and even being a few days late with this one. It turns out life is pretty difficult sometimes.
But wow, it’s been a year! I quietly struggled on many fronts and I hope that 2022 brings me more calm and clarity.
I don’t have more words than that at the moment, because, life. But I do want to say thank you for reading and supporting my work in whatever way you may have done.
🌈 On Rosieland
Not strictly Rosieland, but Erin and I decided to do 100 Days of Twitter Spaces, to be honest, it’s really bad timing, but we’ve been having fun!
- Tackling community debt — What if we kicked out inactive community members?
- Time Pieces Web 3 Community Initiative [Pro]
- Retraining ourselves in community [Pro]
- The types of community [Pro]
- NFTs feel like (expensive) growth hacks [Pro]
- I’m ending this year by tidying up my Notion Community Garden, and exploring some extra writing bits.
✍️ This week in community
via The Verge
C’Bearing’s experience illustrates a growing challenge for Indigenous communities: how to protect tribal culture from the dangers of the attention economy.
- Why most NFT owners are insufferable on social media — Simon Owens
- Why I stopped trying to engage passive community members — the 3 circles model.
- In 2022, it’s all about community — NiemanLab
- Platform puzzle pieces for sustainable community — Rosano
- On being authentic — Matt Mecham
- The Six Types of Online Communities (with Examples of Each) — Justin DiRose (Discourse)
- Metrics to track community health — Ankita Tripathi (Developer Relations)
- Channeling a community to write a book — Felicity Brand (Developer Relations)
- Creativity needs just enough social connections — Harold Jarche
- Embodying Work-Life Balance as a Community Professional and Manager — Community Signal
- Choosing the right community platform — Andrew Claremont
- The Malevolence of The Metaverse and Web3 Conversation — Ed Zitron
- Rule #8 – Leverage Digital To Grow Relationships — Charlene LI
- Alternatives to the metaverse — Ben Werdmüller
🎆 See y'all in 2022!