I stumbled across this article on small groups which has been very much aligned in my day to day actions and thinking. Though I definitely need to find some time to dig into it deeper.
There’s been a rise in private communities and online events, but these are not the same as small groups. Personally, I’m very interested in this approach and feel this is what is lacking from most online communities today.
I’m experimenting with this at Indie Hackers by creating small and themed regular online meetups of no more than 12 people in total, I think over time it could potentially develop into a specific set of people showing up consistently and developing relationships that last. The consistency and the showing up are hard enough on their own, let alone achieving them together.
Also 12 people is tiny, compared to the actual size of Indie Hackers (100k+).
✍️ Blogs, Articles, Resources and News
This is from Street Plant on building a community focused business. You don’t always need fancy tech to build a community.
This is a community that anyone with a Street plant skateboard can join by posting how they use their board on social media and tagging their posts with the #StreetPlantBattalion hashtag.
Keep it simples!
- Head to Head: Should community management be executed by an agency? Things that make community builders go 🤢
- Developing an understanding of why people in Japan often wears masks is a great lesson in community building. Seek to understand your people.
- DevRel and community building with the Golden Ratio - Hayley Denbraver
- How community (not corporations) will get us through this - phlywheel
- Practising Open Communication - Hugh Lashbrooke @ Wordpress.org
- Articulating Your Community’s Values - Joi Podgorny
- The future of Web Directions, part I. The Shape of online conferences - John Allsopp at Web Directions
- Automating community management: don't hammer the flowers - Vanessa Paech
- 🎥 What I learned building online communities for Airbnb, Etsy, Google, and more - Adam Howell - Microconf
- Remember the MOOCs? After Near-Death, They’re Booming. - NY Times
- Is this where the future of communities is at? It comes complete with dramatic music and water slides. I couldn’t help myself, sorry I hope you will forgive me. You’ll have to click to find out more. 🤭
- Episode 2: Social Currency Metric System (SCMS) - CHAOSScast
- Episode 022 - Chris & Michael talk Digital Integrations with current Branded Community and how it will equal to a great Customer Experience - Peers Over Beers
- After Pulse: Online Community Management - Community Pulse
- Engagement That Scales – Episode #10: Christian Rubio on Building Community - The Community Roundtable
- Community first product development with Dan - Community Finder
- Playing Cupid in Quarantine - Together Apart