An oldie but a goodie. By Charles Eisensten.
Community is woven from gifts. Unlike today's market system, whose built-in scarcity compels competition in which more for me is less for you, in a gift economy the opposite holds. Because people in gift culture pass on their surplus rather than accumulating it, your good fortune is my good fortune: more for you is more for me. Wealth circulates, gravitating toward the greatest need. In a gift community, people know that their gifts will eventually come back to them, albeit often in a new form. Such a community might be called a "circle of the gift."
No one seems to really know what this means exactly, and it often just lumps into all of these things.
From the Future of Belonging
We are all in this community, society, country, and planet together. For any one of us to be free, we needs to endeavor continuously to work for us all to be free. Our separateness is a bit of an illusion as this pandemic continues to show us how mutualism can carve a path to freedom through rather than in spite of our connectedness. Designing for belonging is a way to reinforce this connectedness and move toward resilience.
Dugnad (pronounced doog-nahd); a Norwegian cultural tradition where community members work together towards a common goal, for the greater good for all.
We stress, these are assumptions based on personal observation and experience.
From Designer News.
Always interesting to see people discuss why a community has died within said community. 🤷🏽♀️
- ❤️ The Six Conversations. Building Community Among Citizens - Peter Block
- The risks of building your paid community on rented land - Niklas Lohmann
- How Do You Design a Community? Start with the Why or the Who - Design Museum 🎧
- The Impact of Toxic Influencers on Communities - Intense Minimalism
- Healing Societal Division Through Community and Technology with Lisa Conn - Create Community 🎧
- 2 years, 800 members: BoiseDev builds community news, for its community - BoiseDev
- Community Cultivation – A Field Guide - Educopia
- Talking platform responsibility and community safety with Melanie - Community Finder 🎧
- CMX Summit speaker applications are open - CMX
- Three Metrics Every Community Manager Should Track - Noele Flowers
- Why You Need A Community Manager (and what happens if you don’t replace one) - Richard Millington
- Diversity & Inclusion with Emma Irwin - CHAOSS 🎧
- YANSS 184 – How to improve your relationships by systematically de-biasing your brain - You Are Not So Smart 🎧
- What makes a Facebook groups “off the charts” active 👩🏻💻 Lindsay Russell, Facebook - GetTogether 🎧
- The Internet of Beefs - Ribbon Farm 🐄