☁️ Lots of interesting things this week! ☁️
In line with the idea of community digital gardens, I’m adapting and tweaking as I go:
- Upon request I added a 10am London time slot every Wednesday for meetups. Starting from next week. That’s in addition to the weekly 8pm Tuesday slot. Book here.
- Note taking worked well for our last meetup, I think we will continue that.
- I went down some rabbit holes and created a Rules & Code of Conduct page and also one on Community Digital Gardens. I can create more pages on themes you would like, leave a comment or email me with requests.
By Sam Altman
What did they do? They took bets on unknown people and believed in them more than anyone had before. They set strong norms and fought back hard against bad behavior towards YC founders. They trusted their own convictions, were willing to do things their way, and were willing to be disliked by the existing power structures. They focused on the most important things, they worked hard, and they spent a huge amount of time 1:1 with people. They understood the value of community and long-term orientation. When YC was very small, it felt like a family.
By Jason Calacanis
By Harolde Jarch
The practice of personal knowledge mastery is that we should continuously seek new ideas from our professional social networks and then filter them through more focused conversations with our communities of practice where we have established trusted relationships. You know you are in a community of practice when it changes your practice.
And more this week...
- Terrell Johnson built a massive community around his running website — Simon Owen
- The Growth of Niche Communities in 2020 — Hannan Feroz
- Reddit Squashed QAnon by Accident — The Atlantic
- BlackPlanet’s Founder on Building Impactful Platforms and Communities — Community Signal 🎧
- Come for the course, stay for the community — Jonathan Hillis
- Community building activities (for educators) — OneHE
- Community Management Gone Right (and wrong) Amid Coronavirus — Carter Gibson
- Web Creators — A community for web creators to grow and get inspired — Google
- Why Community Belongs at the Center of Today’s Remote Work Strategies — Dion Hinchcliffe
- Remote Education: Creating community through shared experiences — GitHub
- The Economic Power of Real-time Chat Spaces — Tom Critchlow
- EP16: Creating a Safe Space: How Naj Austin’s Ethel’s Club was Designed for Intersectionality — Masters of Community 🎧
- How Teachers Can Foster Community in Online Classrooms — Wired
- Why use Discord for open communities — Chris Biscardi
- Writers helping writers 📬 Fiona Monga & Nadia Eghbal, Substack — Get Together
- Putting community at the core of learning and transformation — Happy Startup School 🗓
- Community Leadership Summit 2020 — All Things Open 🗓