Communities will come under even greater pressure. Many will be marginalised and forgotten, with terrible repercussions for livelihoods, health and wellbeing. But creating thriving, resilient, powerful communities could be the starting point for a reconfiguration of the way things work. An economy driven by locally-owned and locally-run enterprises rather than wealth-concentrating international banks and big business, and a politics rooted in community participation and radically decentralised decision making, rather than over-centralised policymaking. Such a system, rich with the local social infrastructure that underpins relationships, connections and trust, would have a better chance of creating the conditions for people to lead fulfilling lives, and regenerating the natural world.
Veronique Mistiaen / Positive News
“At first, they made fun of us, that we want to do men’s work. But now, the community is respecting us as we are business owners,” said Iman Ghaleb, one of the microgrid owners. “This project has built the trust and broken the red line in dealing with men. We are now contributing to the family monthly budget to cover food and other life requirements.”
“It’s descending into a cesspool of bad conversation,” Wang told Recode. “A lot of folks are very emotionally charged. They’re feeling very vulnerable and anxious at the moment, and it’s only amplifying that anxiety.”
“There are no difficult conflicts. There are only conflicts we don’t know how to resolve.”
Resolving conflict begins with accepting your point of view as just one version of the truth. There’s always another story. Resolution will be found through dialogue, not arguing about whose story is right, better, or more complete. Both stories are right.
Come play a game of trust…
- Looks like Feverbee community is going to be archived and relaunched as something more private. 👀
- Discourse for Teams is here, does this mean that people are seeing businesses with a bit of a community lense? Also, this is how it compares to Discourse.
- The Three Strategic Areas Every Successful CM Needs to Define — Carter Gibson
- The Ultimate Community Survey Template — Danielle
- Found via ☝🏾 Sense of virtual community: A follow up on its measurement — Science Direct
- How Product School Grew from 1 to 1 million with Carlos Gonzalez de Villaumbrosia — Masters of Community 🎧
- I violated a code of conduct — Jeremy Howard
- Write for the Lurkers — Ryan Law
- A Note from People & Company — Bailey Richardson
- The Subreddit /r/Collapse Has Become the Doomscrolling Capital of the Internet. Can Its Users Break Free? — Time
- Communities and Connections will power our growth in 2021 — Stack Overflow
- Patreon will remove creator accounts that promote QAnon content — The Verge
- Steph Smith on Building Community Through Content — YEN.FM
- How to Build a Highly-Engaged Community with Slack — YEN.FM
- The Importance of Connecting Older Persons to Community — Tamarack Institute
- 18: I’ll take one Culture, please — In Before The Lock 🎧