Preserving Community History 🤔
Ancient Memories: Revisiting Dubstep Forum
What Dubstep Forum has left behind is unique. "After realizing that I cannot save Dubstep Forum," Dubway told me, "I decided to freeze it and preserve it as an archive document for future generations. There are a lot of high quality discussions for music culture historians and enthusiasts who want to know about their heroes and the origin of the sound. That is why I still pay for the servers."
To Mend a Broken Internet, Create Online Parks
Eli Pariser, Wired Magazine
Much of our communal life now unfolds in digital spaces that feel public but are not.
The New New Rules of Business: Fast Company’s Advice for the Next 25 Years
Invest in community:
Companies have no choice but to rethink the way they engage and invest in the communities they operate in. Not only has philanthropy become “hyperlocal,” says Kara Medoff Barnett, executive director of American Ballet Theatre, but it is increasingly embedded in business.Justin Moore, executive director of the New York City Public Design Commission, calls on companies, nonprofits, governments, and grassroots organizations to “allow for new and complete ways of caring for our communities and our public spaces.”
More community news…
- Mathematical community and the needs of the soul — Jeremy Kun
- Measuring the Business Impact of Community | Richard Millington — The Connectors 🎧
- Cultivating a Watch Community — NY Times
- Building Inclusive Communities with Najva Sol and Danielle Letayf — Community Club 📺
- A Halloween Tale - From a community activation to a cross-department campaign. — Elodie Dincuff
- Episode 4 Uncommunity with Christina Pashialis from ContentUK — Uncommunity 🎧
- David Spinks: Building Community with Business (and Belonging) in Mind — YEN.FM
- Jesse Middleton & Lolita Taub: Investing in Community — YEN.FM
- The Need for Roots: Prelude to a Declaration of Duties towards Mankind — Simone Weil 📚 (An old new book also added to our Notion resource)
- "The National Geographic of the digital age" — Get Together
- Defining Community for Businesses — Mac Reddin
- How Brands Can Show Up Authentically on Reddit — Digital Campfire 📺
- Engagement That Scales – Episode #17 – Perry Hewitt on the Tension Between People and Technology — The Community Roundtable 📺
- How Discord (somewhat accidentally) invented the future of the internet — David Pierce, Protocol
- EP72: Scaling Content using the Power of Comunity w/ Atlassian — C2C Podcast
- How InVision is advancing their design leadership community on Slack — Frank Lagendijk, Build With Users
- Engagement That Scales – Episode #18: Ashleigh Brookshaw on the Power of Difficult Conversations — The Community Roundtable
- Your users are getting younger, while your evangelists are getting older — Olle Pridiuksson
I realise I add events to the Notion Tools section, but don’t talk about it here. This is me committing to highlight some regularly.
- ☁️ Trying out Google Keen for Rosieland 🤷🏽♀️ — the default content is pretty lame, but I will see if I can add anything there and report back.
- Add Event — AddEvent is the number #1 "Add to calendar" service on the Internet.
- Lowdown — An email digest for your Slack members
- Topia — Your digital space to connect face-to-face in a more natural and fun way.