📚 This week I’m featuring some books I’ve recently stumbled upon and may have accidentally bought. Now to find the time to read them! 🙈
By Sasha Costanza-ChockCommunity-Led Practices to Build the Worlds We NeedAn exploration of how design might be led by marginalized communities, dismantle structural inequality, and advance collective liberation and ecological survival.
A collection of real stories and tools from the front lines of the future of working together.
By Elif Shafak
Ours is the age of contagious anxiety. We feel overwhelmed by the events around us, by injustice, by suffering, by an endless feeling of crisis. So how can we nurture the parts of ourselves that hope, trust and believe in something better? And how can we stay sane in this age of division?
By Rachel Wilkerson Miller
If you're having trouble connecting with those around you, know that you're not the only one. Adult friendships are tricky!!! Part manifesto, part guide, The Art of Showing Up is soul medicine for our modern, tech-mediated age.
👀 Articles & Podcasts
- How Vulnerability, Empathy, and Belonging Drive Innovation — Sarah Judd Wench, Sharehold
- Platforms, Creative Communities, and the Need for a Radical Reimagining — The Reboot
- Max Altschuler: Building an online sales community and scaling it — The ABM Conversations 🎧
- #7: A Collective of Collectives — Richard D. Bartlett
- 50 Ways To (Shape Your Culture)— Nilofer Merchant
- The Infinite Monkey Exercise: A Project Planning Framework — Hugh Lashbrooke
- Community Building: Space and Gateways — Julian Stodd
- Issue #39: Future of Belonging at Work — Vanessa Mason
- Teachable's change of community strategy & platform with thousands of members — Build With Users
- Community Moderation and Support on DEV — Michael `Tharrington, Dev.to
- Episode 40 - Special Guest - Max Rothery from Finimize - How Finimize Built Online Community — Peers Over Beers 🎧
- EP76: Communicating Community Metrics w/ Sprout Social — C2C Podcast 🎧
- Conversations with Community Managers – Esha Singh on Empowering Members — The Community Roundtable 🎧
- Secrets to Building Membership Communities — Robbie Kellman Baxter, Subscription Stories
- The Secret Internet of TERFs — The Atlantic
- How have you delivered happiness? — Danielle Maveal
- Overcoming Division by Bridging Our Differences with Scott Shigeoka — Masters of Community 🎧
- How a movement took over LinkedIn 🗺Anna McAfee, #LinkedInLocal — GetTogether 🎧
- 23: Be bold. Be brief. Be gone. — In Before The Lock 🎧
- ”You Become Hostage to their Worldview": The Murky World of Moderation on ClubHouse" — VanityFair
- Dancing With Fire: A Conversation With Crimson Rose, Co-Founder of Burning Man — Create Community 🎧
🛠 Tools & Templates
- Community Tool Kit from Community Fund (h/t @CassieRobinson)
- How to Create Online Community Guidelines from Hey Stack!
- Annual Review Activity for small groups from Tara McMullin
- Cosmos — Move avatars closer to others to video chat, break into small groups and do things together
- Echo — your education companion, your automated note-taker, revision assister, collaboration platform(er), point of interest capturer and your “I wish I were concentrating!” helper.
- Rosieland Meetups — Last few dates before Christmas, then we'll change it up in the New Year.
- Community Support Sessions v2 — with Danielle Maveal in January
- Get Together LIVE! — with the awesome Get Together crew on Friday 18th of December
🥁 Community of the Week
Carnival of Mathematics — A monthly maths carnival roundup since 2007 🤯
👯♀️ Movement of the Week
💪🏿 Black Voters Matter — the goal is to increase power in marginalized, predominantly Black communities. Effective voting allows a community to determine its own destiny. We agree with the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. when he said, “Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice, and justice at its best is power correcting everything that stands against love.”