This week in community building — Issue 74
The Roam Summit is a new collaboration aimed at bringing the brightest minds in the Roam community together to share, discuss, and debate best practices and methodologies.
Through live-streaming panels, interviews, and small group sessions, the Roam Summit will highlight the tools, thought processes, strategies, and tactics that lead to success with this powerful tool for thought.
- Social influence — How brands can strategically use it — Ana Andjelic, The Sociology of Business
- Reddit’s transparency report shows battle against spam but relatively few government requests — TechCrunch
- How much does the Community Belonging Path relate to your community members? — Simon Tomes
- 🔈Live from the Internet, Here Comes Audio Social Media — New Public
- The Future of Social Audio: Startups, Roadmap, Business Models, and a Forecast — Jeremiah Owyang
- What is community? — Jay Clouse
- How to moderate an online community. A list of skills, tips, and tricks. — Corina Stirbu
- A Mission to Make Virtual Parties Actually Fun — Wired
- I helped build ByteDance's vast censorship machine — Protocol
- Deplatforming Works — Vice
- Very basic story gathering — Chris Corrigan
- Consistency — Brian Morrissey
- Niche Communities — Signals
- Welcome to the Spontaneous Internet — Greg Isenberg
- Community Builder Origin Stories — Tatiana Figueiredo
- Issue #47: Artifacts and Belonging — Future of Belonging
- Bartender Savagely Kicks A Polite Nazi Customer Out Of His Bar And Explains Why It’s Important To Do So — BoredPanda
- Listening with kindness. — Brigid Russell
- Measuring Community Metrics With Patrick Woods — Technically True
- Growing a community one town hall at a time 💰 Claire Wasserman, Ladies Get Paid — Get Together
- Episode 047 - Is Clubhouse the New Thing? Also Michael is Setting The Stage for Online Community for the Bank — Peers Over Beers
- EP82: How Codecademy Builds Community — The Community Corner
- Building Deeper Friendships with Kat Vellos — Masters of Community
🛠 Tools & Resources
- Jam — an open source audio space for chatting, brainstorming, debating, jamming, micro-conferences and more.
- Skittish, a playful virtual space for online events.
- Self-Organising System — Extinction Rebellion
Rituals aren't decorative. They are formative.— Casper ter Kuile (@caspertk) February 22, 2021
When we chat about community building, what do we not talk about enough?— daniellexo (@daniellexo) February 15, 2021
If you've done #community for a long time, you can lose the joy.— Shannon Emery (@llamasayswhat) February 16, 2021
I left a chat w/"Remember to have fun. You're connecting people & it can be the fun stuff that brings them back."
So who's bringing back the fun with me? #cmgr
extremely good thread about what a community manager ✨actually does✨— Victoria Tran 🧋 (@TheVTran) February 20, 2021
- glorified meme generators to make the biggest social following.. no!!
- relying on algorithmic moderation/bots/"letting the the fandom be" is better for community building.. no!! https://t.co/mDt77qZEmd