This week in community building — Issue 79
We hosted our first 'Rosieland Radio' as part of our Rosieland Adventure community building course cohort.
We need to move from a source-code-centric model for free software, to a community-centric model that shares ownership of both the software and the process used to build the software with everyone involved, from (yes) the coders and designers, to the people the software is being built for, to research subjects and the communities touched by it.
Of course, even if you don’t want to be online at all—even if you want to share as little of yourself as possible—you can’t escape the mortification of being known. It’s only by risking something important that we can produce good work and form meaningful relationships. The possibility of judgment is the price we pay for real love.
✍️ More articles
- 200+ Community-Driven Founder Resources Guide — Lolita Taub
- Scaling community efforts at Webflow — Build With Users
- What's On Deck for On Deck? — Erik Torenberg
- Orbit Community OS — Shiny Object Social Club
- Growing ContentUK #1 — Christina Pashialis
- Helping mental-wellbeing creators find their 100 true fans — Tom Gab
- Whom do we lose? The case of dissimilarity in personal networks — Science Direct
- The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly of Online Communities — Shondaland
- Custodians of the internet — Tarleton Gillepsie (Google Books) 📖
- Bevy raises $40 million in Series C funding.
- Zoom Wants You to Zoom Even When Using Other Companies’ Apps — Wall Street Journal
- Why Microsoft Wants Discord — The Verge
- Twitter is working on a community page 👀
- Chaos at Reddit as dozens of subreddits made private in protest at site — Metro
- Ep. 02 - Building Dev.To and Forem with Peter Frank — Community Led
- Episode 052 - Community Manager Positions and Who Owns Digital Self-Help Customer Experience? — Peers Over Beers
- Successful Open Source Communities With Ian Tien — Technically True
I've been thinking to build a system where people come together to create social change together to make this world a better place since June 2020. I've tried to create a community with some of my friends to make it happen. This week, I rediscovered something that I already knew.
March 27, 2021
I'm building Helping Creatives because it's what I wish I had when I started on this path.
Somewhere to start
Resources to "see" all the possibilities
Someone to talk to openly about the journey
Overwhelming support exists if you know where to look
Join my #RosielandAdventure https://t.co/UrK4A5J4Bn
March 25, 2021