This week in community building — Issue 87
🌈 Latest from Rosieland
💰 The Real Community Currency [Pro]
🔎 Social platforms should be transparent about their goals and missions [Pro]
🤠 Change my mind: Marketing should report to community
😳 Calling 'Community' the 'New Marketing' is an offense to our profession
💸 Nomadlist is paying $5k per month for Slack
📺 The role YouTubers, streamers, and gamers played in the community creator economy
You cannot be reduced to a body, a mind or a particular social role. An emerging theory of selfhood gets this complexity
In the last decade, we’ve witnessed the explosion of subscription-based “membership,” from movies, music, and audiobooks to elite global communities, razor blades, and dog food. While this phenomenon has been fueled in part by the growth of digital channels, targeted marketing, and the rise of the sharing economy, what’s ultimately driving companies across industries to adopt a version of this business model is the irresistible promise of recurring revenue and sustained customer loyalty.
- Magic on the outside: conservations that create community — Rosie Sherry
- 6 Months as a Developer Advocate — Mahmoud Abdelwahab
- An Interview with a Reddit Moderator — Peter Yang
- You Probably Don’t Remember the Internet — The Atlantic
- Great Community Experiences Can Be Designed — Increateable
- Communities Need to Make Space for Entrepreneurs — Strong Towns
- Longing for Internet Anonymity — Cybernaut
- Someone *wrong* on the internet? Correcting them publicly may make them act like a bigger jerk — NiemanLab
- Social Media vs Community — Tatiana Figueiredo
🎧 Podcasts & Videos
- How Hacker Noon Leans on Our Community - a #CUBoulder Talk by Linh Dao Smooke — Hackernoon
- EP94: How Facebook Empowers Community Builders w/ Logan Johnston — The Community Corner
- Culture, Oppression & Community, with Mia Birdsong — Masters of Community
- Yahoo! Answers And The Legacy We Leave Behind Online — The Content Mines
- Episode 056 - Before Online Community Go-Live and After Go-Live — Peers Over Beers
- Beam — Create an online community platform with a fully gamified experience to keep your customers engaged.
Members (and groups) will graduate in / out of the communities you nurture.— edmund 👨🏽🚀 🚀 🪐 (@edmundamoye) May 24, 2021
Find out as much as you can about why, but don't forget to celebrate the entries / exits with your members. They are moving to sth that's more valuable to them.
Show your happiness.
Last week I had to remove poison ivy from my garden. I learned that to do this, you have to carefully pull up the ivy from the root. If you try to weed whack, the oil on the plant will spray on your skin, clothes, and other plants.— Noele Flowers (@NoeleFlowers) May 24, 2021
Something something community garden metaphor🌱