This week in community building — Issue 88
Local journalism is in crisis. “America’s local news has reached its death spiral phase” proclaimed the Columbia Journalism Review in 2018. Two years later, an oft-cited study out of the University of North Carolina found that some 2,100 community newspapers had ceased publishing since 2004, leaving the country with large swaths of “news deserts” — areas that are unserved by any local news source.
- 🌈 What comes first? Persuasion or Community? [Pro]
- 🌈 Try starting with a micro-community [Pro]
- 🌈 But what *is* community? [Pro]
- 🌈 Building. Stuff. Is. A. Slog.
- QAnon infects churches — Axios
- Battle of the (Community) Brands — Patrick McCrann
- Why Most Communities Suffer From Positioning Problems (and how to solve it) — Richard Millington
- Crowds Are Good Or: how I feel less alone. — Galaxy Brain
- Integrating Community Across your Org with Scott K. Wilder — Masters of Community
- How a community CRM can help you scale — Carmen Taubman
- When the Clubhouse Doors Close: Discord Opens New Spaces to Create and Connect — ConnectedLearning lab
- For Local News, Americans Embrace Digital but Still Want Strong Community Connection — Journalism.org
- How The Discourse scaled its business model to 34 local news sites — Simon Owens
- The Binders isn’t a secret anymore. Where does the giant Facebook group go from here? — NiemanLab
- Orbit has raised $15M Series A to enable proactive community teams everywhere — Orbit
- Facebook and Instagram will now allow users to hide ‘Like’ counts on posts — TechCrunch
- Orbiit raises seed funding to automate the interactions within an online community — TechCrunch
- Announcing our Latest Profile Badge: the Certified Discord Moderator — Discord
- Forem release a mobile app — Forem
- Episode 57 - Given Millions of Dollars We Would Invest in Content for our Community — Peers Over Beers
- Community Pulse - Episode 59 - DevRel Around the World — Community Pulse
- Rosie Sherry: In the Court of the Community Queen (#65) — Penguin Latte
- EP95 - How to Nurture a Community of Super Users w/ Andreia Tulcidás — The Community Corner
- Episode 13: Rosie Sherry on Community as a Career — This Must Be The Place
- Podcast 341: Blocking the haters as a service — The Stack Overflow Podcast
- Why developer relations teams exist — Tessa Kriesel
edmund 👨🏽🚀 🚀 🪐
Open ur 👀.
Women make up 50% of the population anywhere you go. We should normalize a world that gets close to that in every sphere - including this hot thing called community.
Have you taken a look at my “Community Athletes” list?
I opened my eyes!https://t.co/MQFYhhzXnE
May 28, 2021
Diana Morgan 🧩
I have spent a significant amount of time on @Clubhouse 👋 since Jan of this year.
The app has so much controversy around it, but it could take off as a much needed refresh of what @Meetup is currently.
They need to start w/ what revitalizing virtual events means for community.
May 19, 2021
edmund 👨🏽🚀 🚀 🪐
Members (and groups) will graduate in / out of the communities you nurture.
Find out as much as you can about why, but don't forget to celebrate the entries / exits with your members. They are moving to sth that's more valuable to them.
Show your happiness.
May 24, 2021