The Signals in the Pandemic
“Digital Platform Experiences During the Pandemic,” explores how people’s experiences on platforms were shaped by the pandemic. It follows up on our previous research which uncovered 14 signals to guide the creation of healthy public digital spaces.
Buddhist Economics: How to Start Prioritizing People Over Products and Creativity Over Consumption
“Work and leisure are complementary parts of the same living process and cannot be separated without destroying the joy of work and the bliss of leisure.”
There’s a Specific Kind of Joy We’ve Been Missing
We find our greatest bliss in moments of collective effervescence. It’s a concept coined in the early 20th century by the pioneering sociologist Émile Durkheim to describe the sense of energy and harmony people feel when they come together in a group around a shared purpose. Collective effervescence is the synchrony you feel when you slide into rhythm with strangers on a dance floor, colleagues in a brainstorming session, cousins at a religious service or teammates on a soccer field. And during this pandemic, it’s been largely absent from our lives.
This week in community...
- There’s a new tactic for exposing you to radical content online: the ‘slow red-pill’ — The Guardian
- How to Build a Small Town in Texas — WrathOfGnon
- “White audiences who will pay” is still metro newspapers’ survival strategy — NiemenLab
- Are Brand Communities Becoming More Or Less Popular? (A Sample of Data) — Richard Millington
- AMA with Lolita Taub of The Community Fund! 😍 — Uncommunity
- In Online Ed, Content Is No Longer King—Cohorts Are — Wes Kao
🎙 Podcasts & Videos
- TMBA606: Reflections on 10 Years of Running an Online Community — Tropical MBA
- [Weekend Drop] Why Invest in Developer Community? GitHub OCTO Speaker — Swyx Mixtape
- Building Safe & Inclusive Communities, Human Moderation & Community Monetization with Jessica Moreno — Masters of Community
- What Makes an Online Community a Home? — Community Signal
- Our Home on the Internet - Twitch CEO Emmett Shear with Anna Gát and Visakan Veerasamy — Interintellect
- Discord buys Sentropy, which makes AI software that fights online harassment — TechCrunch
- Instagram admits moderation mistake over racist comments — BBC
- Social Media Fails to Curb Racist Emojis Aimed at Soccer Stars — Bloomberg
- Reddit defends how it tackles misinformation as it opens Australian office — The Guardian