This week in community building — Issue 99
Come build your confidence by learning how to think about building community. Join us on this one hour super condensed online crash course. ✨
Marissa Meizz became a TikTok meme after her friends excluded her from a birthday party. She decided to do something about it.
This makes my rosie heart sing and I can't but help think that we can and should be applying many of these human scale concepts to building our communities.
- The Three S’s of Creating Community Connections — Hugh Lashbrooke
- What Happens on Facebook? — Charlie Warzel
- The Parameters of Peloton Celebrity — Anne Helen Peterson
- Local governments should attract people, not companies — Christopher Wink, Technical.ly
- A community in the heart of Tottenham has shown how to fight the developers – and win — The Guardian
- They needed a virtual world, so they built one — New Public
- How To Turn a Neglected Alley Into a Beloved (and Wealth-Generating) "Minor Street" — Strong Towns
- OnlyFans Change Is Reminder To Own Platform — Jacob Donnelly
🎤 Podcasts & Rackets
- Here’s How Anti-Vaxxers Are Spreading Misinformation Despite Your Best Moderation Efforts — Community Signal
- The Secrets of Well-Governed Communities with Venessa Paech — Masters of Community
- Using Twitter to build community — Rosie Sherry + Mohammed Rafy
- Landing your dream community job — Erin Mikail Staples & Patrick McCrann
- Generalists make great Community Folk! — Erin Mikail Staples & Brian Oslen
- How can we take care of people that are part of our community? — Rosie Sherry & Ioana Chiorean
- Launch House raises millions to launch houses (and the next big startups) — TechCrunch
- New Regulation Could Cause a Split in the Crypto Community — Wired
- Twitter asks users to flag COVID-19 and election misinformation — TechCrunch
"Everyone who contributes to your company’s mission is a member of your community, from your employees and investors to your customers, creators, users, and fans.
But not all community members share in your company’s success."@getcabal is changing this!https://t.co/PNwedJREaS
August 23, 2021
Whenever someone asks "is _ a community?" the answer for me is nearly always yes.
My definition of community is quite broad: a group of people with a shared interest or identity interacting with each other.
What we should be thinking about is how "close" of a community is _?
August 21, 2021