I’m definitely feeling that the more I intentionally dive in and learn about community building then the less I know.
At the moment, I mostly spend my Sunday evenings pulling this together. My process of gathering is getting better. However this week, the amount of stuff I came across was somewhat overwhelming. Before I knew it several hours had passed. Whoops!
So, I changed it up a bit.
Is it better or worse? You tell me. Maybe give that heart button a little love if you like it. Or let me know on Twitter. 🤷🏽♀️
But more importantly, #blacklivesmatter.
LinkedIn Staffers Go All-Lives-Matter During ‘Dumpster Fire’ Meeting on Racism:
“We’ll spend most of our time together in open discussion, so please consider bringing questions or experiences you’d like to share,” read the invitation email to staff.
LinkedIn employees followed those instructions precisely. The results were a disaster.
How to Make this Moment the Turning Point for Real Change - Barack Obama
So the bottom line is this: if we want to bring about real change, then the choice isn’t between protest and politics. We have to do both. We have to mobilize to raise awareness, and we have to organize and cast our ballots to make sure that we elect candidates who will act on reform.
- However, I stand. – Holly Firestone
- Actions we’re taking against racism – Kevin Huynh
- Called into the movement for freedom (For White readers) – Casper ter Kuile
- We are here, and we are listening. - The Community Roundtable
- How to help your Black friends and your non-Black friends today – Kat Vellos
- Community: the new business model for indie hackers - Channing Allen
- How I do Twitter for Indie Hackers - Rosie Sherry
- The Guide to Unbundling Reddit – Greg Isenberg
- Oh SNAP! A Community Incentivization Framework - Holly Firestone
- The culture of your community determines how people behave - Rosie Sherry
- For Empowering Community – Ben Halpern of Dev.to talks about their plans for Forem, a community platform based on dev.to
- Playgroup Community - First Impression – Calvin Pak
- Why Communities Fail - Erica Kuhl
- Community choices for diversity and inclusion – Vanessa Paech
- TOGETHR: A collaborative neighborhood app to promote local community building. – David Morales
- Top Tools & Tactics to Bump Up Your Online Organizing Game – Social Movement Technologies
- How embracing possibility and enrolment leads to better campaigns – I highlight this one because I see building communities has much do with building possibilities. Plus it talks about Seth Godin, who very much has a deep understanding of communities.
Community-Building Online: An Introduction – Middlebury College
When we do not intentionally weave opportunities for social learning and community building into the design of our online learning spaces, participants may feel siloed and alone, making it difficult to engage with learning content or peers. Research has shown that online learning succeeds best when participants feel part of a trusted community, supported by their instructors, programs, and peers.
How to Build an Online Learning Community: 6 Theses - Jesse Stommel
Educational institutions are spaces for learning, but more specifically, they are spaces for social learning. And so our role as educators and administrators of educational institutions has to be focused on building community in addition to offering courses, designing curriculum, and credentialing.
'A Kafkaesque nightmare': the survival guide helping condemned estates beat the bulldozers – The Guardian
It has been called ‘one of the finest council estates in the country’. So why is Cressingham Gardens facing demolition? We report on the free book helping communities fight back
Community-Led Regeneration. A Toolkit for Residents and Planners [Free Book]
Remember, good things are contagious too. (Thank you Rotana Ty)
TIL about Urgentcraft.
'The way we get through this is together': the rise of mutual aid under coronavirus – The Guardian
Amid this unfolding disaster, we have seen countless acts of kindness and solidarity. It’s this spirit of generosity that will help guide us out of this crisis and into a better future.
- Empowering Youth During a Pandemic - Tyler Colbourne
- How to Lead During Times of Change – Terry Sydoryk
- Creating community for Serial Marketers - Community Finder
- On communities shaping themselves - Community Finder
- Episode 023 - Guest Speaker - Carrie Melissa Jones - Peers Over Beers
- Bitesize: Todd Lewis from All Things Open on why they became a Certified B Corporation – Jono Bacon
- 6: So far, so good – In Before the Lock